Last week, The Farm School joined forces with Boston Public Schools Food & Nutrition Services to serve up fresh and delicious carrot soup for MHS students! Students from the Margarita Muñez Academy helped dish out the soup, which was created by The Farm School’s chef, Cristina Garcia. Classes did taste tests and posted results.
Many thanks to our Cafeteria Manager, Chris Whitley and staff for supporting this fun and nutritious event!
Here is the recipe:
The Farm School Carrot Soup
2 Tbsp Butter
2 cups Yellow onions, chopped (2 medium)
1 Tbsp Garlic, minced (4 cloves)
5 cups Carrots, diced (2 lbs)
3 cups Potatoes, diced (3/4 lbs)
3 cups Turnips, diced (3/4 lbs)
5 tsp Cumin, ground
2 tsp Salt (to taste)
10 cups Water
4 tsp Lime Juice
1 Tbsp Honey
1/3 cup Heavy Cream
2 tsp Pepper (to taste)
1. In a large pot melt butter over medium heat.
2. Add onions, stirring occasionally for 4 minutes or until translucent.
3. Add garlic, continue cooking, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes.
4. Stir in carrots, potatoes, turnips, cumin, salt and water.
5. Simmer for 25 minutes or until vegetables are easily pierced with a knife.
6. Puree soup with an immersion blender. Or carefully blend in small batches in a regular blender.
7. Pour soup back into large pot. Whisk in lime juice, honey and heavy cream.
8. Season to taste with salt and pepper
Optional Toppings: chopped cilantro, crema, toasted pepitas.